Sunday 3 October 2010

Elle Writing Contest

I entered the Elle Uk writing competition a few weeks ago.  The title of which was "do you need another pair of shoes".

Here's my entry, let me know what you think!


Wandering aimlessly through the shoe lounge in Topshop, I know I am looking for trouble.  This time it will be different, this time I will be strong I repeat to myself.  Through the corner of my eye I spot them, the object of my desire.  I didn’t think they would look quite as beautiful in the flesh, taupe, strappy, wedge, with just the right amount of hardware to make me go weak at the knees.  I edge close enough to smell the leather, just a quick fondle that’s all I need, I swear.  I pick up the delightful piece of footwear, ready to put them straight back when I am ambushed by a friendly, yet unwanted sales assistant.  The gig is up. 
“Would you like to try those on?” she declares.  My head says no, but this does not translate to my lips and I answer, “Yes please!”.  With a little more enthusiasm than is necessary.  In a flick of her auburn locks she is back with the matching shoe and an eager expression.  “They’re amazing aren’t they” she pronounces.  As if I don’t already know, I smile briefly trying not to encourage anymore of her chitchat.  I don’t really want to sound rude, but I need to stay focused and chatting to an assistant isn’t going to help my situation.  I stand up and take a quick glance in the mirror. I must have these shoes.  But, then arises the ever-bewildering question.  Do I really need ANOTHER pair of shoes?
The outcome of this anecdote is irrelevant, okay I bought the shoes.  But, it leads me on nicely to the subject of my pondering.  How many times have you faced the question.  Do I really need ANOTHER pair of shoes?  We face this question from our family, significant others, friends.  It is the question every fashionista dreads.  And there are two possible answers, yes or no.
Now, there are actually more reasons for me TO buy another pair of shoes, than to just let them ‘walk on by’, pardon the pun.  It would seem that with the addition of those perfect new heels (feel free to add your own preference here) the possibilities of life become suddenly endless.  That guy you regularly, and literally bump in to at the supermarket may not give you a second glance in your tired, yet treasured brogues.  But, tottering down the fruit and veg aisle in your box-fresh Kurt Geigers he will be falling over himself to speak to you.  That job you couldn’t quite bag in your worn-out Opening Ceremony wedges?  Why, it’s yours in a brand- spanking pair of Louboutin’s.  It would seem that a new pair of shoes equals, a renewed confidence and general go-get-em attitude.
And then there are the new outfit combinations.  Those chino’s and that Gap t-shirt that were missing their old magic?  With the addition of a new pair of shoes becomes a show-stopping, fresh look that could have walked straight off the catwalks in Paris. That beautiful French Connection shift you only had the shoes to make the perfect evening outfit?  Has a new lease of life with the purchase of those super soft suede brogues and a pair of ankle socks.  It is true that giving in to that pull of desire can brighten up a dreary day, but how long will this endorphin rush last?
Well, in my experience it lasts until you see the next pair of ‘to die for’ lovelies.  Which makes for a very expensive endorphin rush.  The likes of which can be found at my local gym for a lot less hard earned cash.  Yes, a new pair of shoes does brighten up our lives, but let’s look at this from a practical and logical point of view. 
I don’t actually NEED another pair of shoes.  It boils down to that time old question of “Is this a necessity or is it a luxury?” having just started in an entry level position in the industry my salary doesn’t allow for luxuries, so every purchase has to be scrutinised.  Not very glamorous, I admit but in today’s climate it’s a wise choice for any savvy, lower-budget fashionista.  But, from this I have learnt how to mix and match my wardrobe in ways I would never have imagined before.  I have become very creative in this area and can sometimes be found appreciating that I just have a few key pieces to choose from rather having to wade through hangers and hangers just to find an outfit for the next day.
Then, there is the point that I don’t have any room in my wardrobe for the addition of another pair of shoes.  I have twice the space than my other half  as it is and I think he would be less than pleased if I tried to squeeze another shoe box into his closet.  I then wonder if I could buy space in someone else’s house…  And dismiss this immediately.
I think at the end of the day, this question depends on the individual.  If you want those chanel-inspired clogs, you get them and wear them with pride.  Maybe as I move up the ranks in my current role, I will be able to give in to my shoe desire a lot more frequently and with a lot less guilt.   In the meantime, the question still remains…

No comments:

Post a Comment